The Lanman Museum located in Framlingham castle, has for many years held a collection of glass plate negatives by John Self. He provided the museum with a comprehensive record of the town in the period around 1900. The Suffolk Record Office digitised all the glass negatives in 2018, making them easier to view and also avoiding the need to handle these fragile items.
A book is being published by the museum which portrays many of these photographs from the 1880s to the 1920s. Invoices from the James Breese Collection provide further illustration. There are over 150 images in the book.
Framlingham, a Tour Through Time will be launched on Saturday 27 November in The Unitarian Meeting House in Bridge Street, Framlingham from 10.00 to 13.00. The special launch price only is £10, after which the book will be available in local shops for £12. For information: firstname.lastname@example.org