Rich in heritage and history, Suffolk is a wonderful county to explore. Wherever you go, you won’t be far from a museum to enrich your journey of discovery. Suffolk’s museums work together to preserve and promote the county’s rich and diverse heritage and play a key role in place -making and improving the quality of life for Suffolk’s residents and visitors.
The museums featured on this website are all members of the Association for Suffolk Museums (AfSM), an independent charity and membership body, part funded and supported by the Suffolk Museums Partnership. It also attracts funding for and manages joint museum projects, provides training and networking opportunities along with advice on all areas of museum management.
The AfSM is managed by representatives from each local authority in Suffolk, alongside museum representatives. You can view the AfSM management committee here
The AfSM works with around 60 museums and associate members with related interests to help make Suffolk an attractive place to live, work and visit. The organisation has four main aims:
- To provide support for museums in Suffolk
- To act as a representative and advocate for museums in Suffolk
- To attract and manage resources for the benefit of its members
- To increase access and learning in museums for the benefit of the people of Suffolk
Key stats for 2017/18 are shown in the infographic below.
Association for Suffolk Museums Memberships
Would your museum or heritage site like to join the Association for Suffolk Museums?
Membership gives your museum access to networking opportunities, advice and support and a variety of different marketing, funding and training activities. It’s simple to join, and great value for your museum.
To join, or for further information, contact Jayne Austin at firstname.lastname@example.org or call, 01473 265008
• Accredited Museums (Full, Provisional, and Working Towards)
• Annual fee from £55 to £95, depending on visitor numbers
• Benefits same as Members and Associate Members, plus…
• Free membership of Harwell Drying to assist with emergency preparedness
• Access to SHARE funded activities and grants
• Non- Accredited Museums
• Annual fee £30
• Benefits same as Associate Members, plus…
• Eligible to apply for an AfSM grant
• Profile and events featured on AfSM Website
• Opportunity to pay subsidy for inclusion and distribution of a joint Suffolk Museums leaflet
• Individuals, bodies or groups with museum interests
• Annual fee £25
• Significantly subsidised training
• Quarterly newsletter
• Participation in network meetings and activities