John Reeve offers a few words on what’s been happening at The Mid-Suffolk Light Railway Museum.
‘Although we are still not open to the public there is plenty of activity at Brockford.
The following projects are up and running:-
As part of the line extension project we are carrying out the provision of better visitor facilities at Dovebrook including a footbridge to the picnic area. The bridge is now almost complete and will provide access from the platform to the picnic area and can be used as an exit.
Work is also progressing with the station building for the end of the Aspall Halt. Below is a picture of a genuine Middy building which used to be part of Haughley Station.
Plus, perhaps ironically, work on the restoration of steam loco no.1604, is proceeding faster than anticipated as a result of our boiler contractors other work being delayed by coronavirus considerations. The picture shows the repaired and refurbished firebox which has now been passed for use by the boiler inspector. We hope to have 1604 running next summer but it will surely be ready to run at the 2022 70th anniversary of closure celebrations.
Nonetheless public awareness and support are both essential for the continued development of the Middy.
These projects have their separate appeals to achieve completion and can be accessed via the web site www.mslr.org.uk
Our coaches nos 12 and 13 have been completely refurbished outside for better weather protection and inside to be a closer finish to the original style and are now ready for passengers.